There is a journey to cloud which includes Migrating On-Premises assets to the Cloud. This includes Rehosting, Re-platforming, Refactoring, Rebuilding, Retiring and Retaining assets and applications depending on their fit for the Cloud and criteria related to the deployment model (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS); end-users, volume, concurrency, security, compliance and other constraints.
Using our own Intellectual Property, Open-source Tools and AWS native tools we will assess your current estate, build a future Target Operating Model, develop a budget, a detailed discovery and execution plan and perform the migration into Environments which are built on templates and landing zones (secured, automated, configured).
Key documents include:
- Cloud Adoption Framework
- Business Plan, ROI, Governance structures
- Reference Architectures
- Migration Patterns
- Design Patterns
- Criteria Checklists
- Security Checklist
- Go Live Templates
- Environmental Strategies
- Security Model
- Operational Models
The above templates will enable firms to migrate to AWS more quickly. We also use large SI partners to establish a high volume of migration patterns as needed, or to move clients into a Managed Service Provider model.
Key Technologies would include JSON, YAML, Cloud Formation, Terraform, Landing Zones and templated Environmental management and setup; along with IAM, AWS Organisations and Tower.
Using AWS Native services such as DMS, SMS or the database platform native tooling will save time, money and allow for homogenous or heterogenous database migrations.
A blog containing a fairly comprehensive and approach is here https://trilogix.cloud/migration/overview-and-a-plan-on-how-to-migrate-to-aws/
Roughly 6, there may be more or less, it depends on the approach and methodology, but some key areas within the journey include:
Understand AWS, Architecture, Platform and Cost
2 Proof of Concept
Learn, build, deploy, fail, train
3 Data Migration Phase
Understand, Clean and Move data
4 Application Migration Phase
Code review, Refactoring, Forklift, Hybrid Migration Strategy
5 Leverage the Cloud
HA, Elasticity, Auto-scaling, Security etc.
Customization, Orchestration, Automation
Cloud Native Services to use
Migrating hundreds or thousands of workloads to the cloud requires a phased approach that includes assessment, readiness and planning, migrations, and operations, with each phase building on the previous one. AWS Prescriptive Guidance provides the methods and best practices for all steps of the migration journey.
Migration Tools & Services
AWS provides a comprehensive portfolio of AWS migration tools and mature third-party migration tooling ecosystem provide automation and intelligent recommendations based on AWS machine learning to simplify and accelerate each step of the migration process.
AWS Migration Acceleration Program
The AWS Migration Acceleration Program (MAP) is designed to help organizations committed to a large-scale migration reach their business goals faster by combining all the components of our migration solution with investments to assist with the costs of migration.
VMware Cloud on AWS
VMware Cloud on AWS allows you to quickly relocate hundreds of applications virtualized on vSphere to the AWS Cloud in just days, while maintaining consistent operations with your on-premises environment.
From Planning and Discovery to Deployment and Transformation:
- Conversion of legacy applications including Legacy Access, Visual Basic, old Java, Cobol, Delphi and early versions of .NET to current .Net
- Use a life cycle management of system migration
- Consolidate multiple applications into one powerful application
- Develop new features and specifications
- Develop mobile capabilities using native or non-native HTML5
- Deployment of cloud in various high-availability configurations
- Management and maintenance of the applications
- Assess different data types and databases, architectures, Common Data Models
- Understand data flows and their implications for new revenue generation or cost control
- Organize Data models, Data systems, to leverage data in the cloud
- Optimise and reduce costs with logging, monitoring, SIEM, SIAM integration
- Build a Cloud Strategy matching Data Models to the Business
- Align business with IS and the cloud
- Move business processes into the Cloud, to transform client experiences, internal usage